Monday, January 31, 2011

Otavalo

Otavalo is an indigenous community about 2 hours northeast of Quito.  It is a picturesque little town, nestled between 3 volcanoes, with several crystal clear lakes nearby.  Otavaleños are famous for textile production and the central market of Otavalo, Plaza de los Ponchos, is known far and wide for its handcrafted wears.  I was lucky enough to have the representation of an acclaimed Ecuadorian lawyer (my host papi, Alfredo) as I haggled for the lowest possible price on various souvenirs.  
Sample interaction:
  • Me:  How much does it cost?
  • Vendor:  Normally $15, but I will give you a good price.  $12.
  • Alfredo:  Ahhh so expensive?  I know what you're up to.  You see that she is a gringa and you take advantage.  Well, I am a native of Otavalo [note: not at all true] and I know that this neckalace is only worth $2.
  • Vendor:  I will give it to you for $5, no less.
  • Alfredo:  Bahhhhhhhh!  [begins to walk away]
  • Vendor:  Fine, fine, $3.
Pretty slick, eh?  Well, here are some pictures.  










3 comments:

  1. but the second doll from the left in the first row looks really sinister

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the artisanal crafts! And Otavalo looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete