Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cumbayá My Lord, Cumbayá

Hola amigos. I am writing to you from my bedroom in my host family's home in Cumbayá, a suburb of Quito. My host father, Alfredo, picked me up at my hotel Monday and took me on the first of many Quito-Cumbayá commutes. Cumbayá sits at an altitude of 7218 feet, much lower than Quito's 9350 feet. Because of this, Cumbaya is significantly warmer and more vegetated than Quito.

The house is very large and is part of a gated community near to Universidad San Francisco de Quito, one of Ecuador's premier universities. Our neighborhood has the feel of an American suburb, with many restaurants and stores within walking distance.


Mi casa en Cumbayá

Marcela, my host mother, is the founder and director of La Fundacion de Abuelitos y Abuelitas de la Calle. She is a driven and passionate woman who has worked for more than 10 years now to provide reliable food and healthcare to Quito's elderly. Alfredo is a lawyer and a retired professor of law at La Universidad Católica de Quito. He’s published several books on law and helps with the Foundation when he can, providing legal counsel to the abuelitos. Alfredo and Marcela have a daughter and two sons, all grown and married, and two grandchildren. I briefly met their daughter, Patricia (Pati), with whom I’ve been exchanging emails since this time last year (she works part-time as an administrator for the Foundation). Abuelitos seem to be the family business.

Since their children moved out, Marcela and Alfredo have opened their doors to houseguests. In addition to me, they house a Dutch woman named Josina who also volunteers with the Abuelitos and three students from the University.

Finally, I must say that it gives me great joy to leave bustling Quito at the end of the day and come home to this peaceful oasis. I put on a wool sweater and some earthy sandals with thick socks underneath and drink a mug of herbal tea in the garden. Ooooh looooooord, Cumbayá.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds exotic! Have you started work with the Abuelitos?? How is that going?

    ReplyDelete