Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mindo Lindo

Last Sunday, I had the chance to go on a day trip to a place called Mindo with my friend Ilse from the Foundation.  Mindo is a cloud forest (kind of like a rainforest, but at a high elevation) about 1.5-2 hours northwest of Quito.  It's very green and lush and exotic looking and, as such, has gained a reputation for ecotourism in recent years.  I'm told it's of particular interest to bird enthusiasts, as it is home to a huge diversity of species. (I'm looking at you, Dad.)  During my day in Mindo, I visited a butterfly/hummingbird sanctuary, went for a hike in the cloud forest to look at waterfalls, went zip lining, and visited a chocolate factory (Ecuador is known for its cocoa).  All-in-all, a day well spent!  Here are some photos.

 magic butterfly.

 hummingbird...very difficult to photograph

 waterfall at the end of our hike

pre zip-line

cocoa beans

2 comments:

  1. Looks beautiful! Haha I was honored to have the inside scoop on this post :) Did you get to have any chocolate at the chocolate factory?

    ReplyDelete